Pages

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

New Life

Hmm, wonder if I should change my title since I'm not on insulin now?
The nutritionist (Dr S.) I went to was super-cool, I really liked her. I was so afraid she would be a skinny blonde cheerleader type that I just couldn't relate to, but she's brunette, cute figure but not super-skinny, glasses, smart and warm.
She has me on a Glycemic Index type diet but the biggest changes for me are eating 3 meals and one snack a day ONLY. NO sugarless gum or flavored waters or coffee with creamer between meals. Whoa - big change for me. The theory is that the constant stimulus of sweets in your mouth keeps the insulin and cortisol levels high in your body which messes up fat storage. (Obviously not everything she told me) My waist was 51” while my hips were 48”, so I’m a prime candidate for this theory of visceral fat being from cortisol. I have gained 15 lbs in the last 4 months while trying to lose, so it does make me wonder if the constant sugarless gum and flavored h2o wasn’t more hinderance than help.
The coffee thing is challenging me. I used to drink coffee pretty much all morning with sugarless french vanilla creamer in it. And flavored water the rest of the day.
It’s not strictly GI as I am allowed small portions of pasta or rice or whatever, but she stresses 20+ grams of protein at every meal! At least 60 gr protein a day, and each meal should have a carb/protein ratio of < 3.
The gum thing is challenging me, I had replaced smoking with the gum almost completely and didn't even realize it.
Dr. S didn’t make big promises she can’t/won’t keep, I check in with someone at her office every 2 weeks in person, I can call her for a pep talk, etc, etc.
She did offer phentermine (only after I brought it up because my endo had suggested it instead of Byetta) which I am afraid of, but will keep it in the back of my mind if I can stick to this plan but hit a plateau. I might consider a month of it here or there, maybe. I dunno - I did phen-fen in the 90’s before it was illegal and it made me feel really weird. This is the “safe” part of that potion, but she won’t use it for more than a month at a time, which was a relief. Made me feel like she wasn’t a quack. I have had friends lose a lot on phentermine, only to act very unlike themselves while on it, then gain it back within a year—not the solution I am looking for.
She also offered a meal replacement for 2 meals a day, only after I have done the GI thing for a couple months and only if I plateaued.
BEST of all - Dr S. works with a therapist who specializes in eating disorders/emotional eating, etc. The therapist even has an office in Dr S’s office. I actually feel hopeful and have been totally OP for 3 whole days!!!! In a row! amazing for me - huh?
I am having a much tougher time this morning. I want to munch, I want more coffee. I want, I want, I want! I want some gum, I want some food, I want coffee. I want water that tastes like something. I can have tea, so perhaps I will try a cup of that - without any sweetener - caloric or not.

No comments: