Pages

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

First Follow Up

I went yesterday and met with the dietician at the nutritionists office. According to their scale I am only down 2.8, at home I am down 4.5. Very discouraging. Of course, she told me that's what they'd like to see - max of 2 lbs a week. I don't go back for a month.
I was looking for a reward after the appointment and I had let myself get too hungry - not excuses, just examining my behavior so I can improve next time. I got back to work, and over the course of the afternoon I had my planned lunch plus a giant poppyseed muffin, a small scoop of jelly beans, a bag of micro popcorn. What is up with that? I *should* have felt all motivated and ready to stay steady on my course and instead I go nuts. I got back to normal after work and have been on plan since, but it was very revealing on an emotional level.
I was down 5 lbs yesterday morning, put 1/2 back on. It's unrealistic, but I feel like 4-5 lbs for 10 days is not commendable. The RD talked to me about not weighing so often, but I'm not sure I can do that. I don't know how to get my expectations in line. I guess in a way, The Biggest Loser is an anti-motivator, because they post 7-10 lb losses a week regularly, if not more! Heck, if I was at a spa someplace working out 2-3 hours a day I could probably do that too. But, I'm NOT.

This is the big allure of the fad diet - lose 12 lbs in 2 weeks!

1925: The Cigarette Diet — In the age before tobacco advertising restrictions, several cigarette companies hailed the appetite-suppressing qualities of their products. One ad for Lucky Strikes urged smokers to "Reach for a Lucky instead
of a sweet."

The RD is concerned I might end up smoking if I diet too hard, having just quit 9 months ago. I promised her I would eat before I would smoke. Current wisdom is that even 1 cig a day can be toxic, while 1 lb is really not much. Just 5-10% weight loss can improve your health whereas you have to quit totally to really benefit from quitting and I am living proof of the difficulty of that task!
I think I need something else to focus on - I am putting too much pressure on the scale. I guess I will take my measurements tonight and see if inches can help? Or maybe something totally different - some non-food related project. Any ideas?

No comments: