Pages

Friday, March 16, 2007

99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall


99 days til my due date! We're in the double digits!
For some reason this pic didn't scan as good as it looks IRL (In Real Life), but you can definitely see little Maile, her hands in front of her face, and a foot there too!
All is relatively well. Interviewed a Doula yesterday and I think I really would like one, just need to convince Da Kane of the reasons for the cost and perhaps talk to a couple more.
In a typical low self-esteem reaction; the Doula recommended that I definitely talk to a couple more before making my decision and I decided that meant she didn't like me and didn't really want to work with me but didn't want to turn down the $ and say no. ARGHHH. I hate the way my mind leaps to negative conclusions as a first impulse!
The dictionary defines Doula as "a woman experienced in childbirth who provides advice, information, and emotional support to a mother before, during, and just after childbirth". Since I have no family left that I would want to labor with me, or who are even close enough to consider it; and because I want to avoid another c-section, I think this would be a good thing for me. Da Kane will be there for me, for sure, but I don't think many man are as good at emotional support as women. Then my frugal side kicks in and says it would be a waste of money, and it ain't cheap.

2 comments:

Jim F said...

Just wanted to say good luck and congrats. Children are great!

Lyrehca said...

I've looked into post-partum doulas and the services they offer sound great. Facing a scheduled c-section, I haven't felt the need to have a labor doula, but I say you definitely should if you don't feel you'll get the support you need during birth. And there's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. If a doctor told you you faced a life-threatening procedure, and suggested you get a second opinion for peace of mind, would you think it was because the doc didn't like you? You're hiring a doula and should worry more about whether YOU like her style...she's providing a service for you!